Thursday, July 26, 2007

Stage 27 -- Altdorf to Staefeli

<reminder: some photos now available at:
http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?q=h2h&m=names
>

Wednesday July 25th, 2007

Today was a big day -- the largest amount of altitude gained in a single day on the H2H: 1890m (6,250 feet) -- and we did it with ease! Well, some of my hiking partners might take issue with that characterization (e.g., Russell, who almost fell asleep when we stopped about an hour before the end of the hike), but in fact we all really did find it easier than expected. In addition, we did in 7.5 hours what I had estimated at 9.5 hours, providing, if you like, further proof of our increasing fitness.

And the hike itself? Well, quite lovely. A pass hike (over the 2291m Surenen Pass), and so with the familiar profile of a long uphill followed by a long downhill (in this case, much more uphill than downhill, because we are staying in a hut tonight). The massive scenery we have come to expect from Switzerland, waterfalls, meadows, huge mountains, old snow fields and, in the distance, glaciers, was augmented for a change by a flying cow. Really. Hanging from a helicopter. Wonder what it was thinking?

But first I need to report about a couple of things that happened during the rest day in Altdorf. Sally and I spent the morning trying to solve our respective foot problems: me through some strategic grinding away of part of the inner sole of my boot, and Sally through the purchase of (yet) another pair of hiking boots. I am pleased to report that it looks as if my fix worked: at any rate, I had no Morton's pain today! Sally says that she had no pain from her Morton's and reduced pain from the Plantar Fasciitis, so she is very happy too. We both hope the improvements turn out to be lasting.

Altdorf, by the way, is a nice town with many charming older buildings. One striking thing about it, and in fact about all of Canton Uri that we have seen (of which Altdorf is the capital), is the strong regionalism as evidenced by the number of Uri flags flying (far more than the number of Swiss flags).

Also interesting was my reaction, which was at first one of irritation, perhaps because I have quite an affection for Switzerland and this seemed almost secessionist. But then it was pointed out to me that it was very much like Bayern, where the number of German flags is far outweighed by the blue and white chequered Bavarian flags. Both Bavaria and Uri are proud of the fact that they existed long before the states of which they are now part, and since I don't have a problem with Bayern, I guess I'll not be irritated any more about Uri.

In the afternoon Bea and Arnulf arrived, and we all went out for a very nice dinner at the Goldener Schluessel (recommended).

Arnulf wuerde gerne seinen Kollegen gruessen und mitteilen, dass er den Tag ueberlebt hat und kaum an sie gedacht hat ;-).

Hey, I think I must be more tired than I thought. I'm going to bed.