Friday, May 27, 2011

Interim Thoughts

A few things I've forgotten to note in the post-hike pre-dinner haze.

Yesterday was the halfway point in the hike -- 13 stages done, 13 to go. But compared to the halfway point of the H2H it was much less significant. Why is that, I wonder? A combination of things, perhaps:

o unlike on the H2H, I'm the only one doing the whole hike here, so there's no-one who shares the sense of importance of the halfway point.
o the fact that I've approached this as a walking holiday rather than an expedition weakens the sense of accomplishment. Yesterday, for example, we hardly hiked because of the weather. Ditto Mortehoe to Braunton. Somehow that makes the mid-point less important.
o although a month of hiking is a lot, it pales in comparison with the H2H... and perhaps therefore the halfway point just doesn't seem like such a big deal. On the H2H, two weeks was still just the beginning.

Whatever the reason(s), I didn't even think to celebrate yesterday... but having written this now, perhaps I'll have a celebratory cup of tea this morning :-).

And that's all I have time for now...