Thursday, May 05, 2011

Pondering Packing

Hikes like the H2H are actually much easier from the packing
perspective: you take as little as you possibly can because it is all
going to be on your back every day. Using a luggage service like we
are doing on the SWCP introduces too many options into the
calculation. I find myself looking into my gear cupboard and thinking
things like "Well, I could take those gaiters and wear them on those
days when long pants would be too warm but the paths are overgrown
with brambles and nettles." Or Lidia says "You could take three nice
shirts with you, oh, and a couple of pairs of long pants for
restaurants as well." and little does it avail me to say that I don't
have room in my bag because she of course does in hers. And then
there are the books and games... how many times have I taken too much
of both with me on normal vacations? Well, I'm about to do it again.
No, there's a lot to be said for iron-clad constraints... and today
I'm missing them.