Saturday, June 23, 2012

Day 4 -- Roussillon to Rustrel

The daily one or two word summary: much easier!

Maybe a degree or two cooler, but more importantly low humidity, a bit of a breeze... and lo and behold I had no problems with the heat. In fact, if anything the sun was stronger today -- I got a sunburn on one forearm. And although we left earlier (9AM), we still hiked through the heat of the afternoon, arriving here in Rustrel after 4PM. So, my conclusion is that the conditions of the last couple of days really were exceptional... and with a bit of luck won't occur again on the H2H.

We, by the way, were my friend from Eygalières Jean-Paul Gilles and I. His wife Françoise is loosely accompanying us in a car (due to knee problems). She met us for lunch in the charming village of Saint-Saturnin-les-Apt, and was waiting for us at the hotel when we arrived in Rustrel.

So I'll bet a number of you are wondering whether, nay, are nigh on sure that I sent my heavy pack in the car with Françoise... but you would be wrong. I considered it, but a) then it wouldn't be like the H2H, and b) I'd be less well prepared for later when there won't be a car. Actually, in the same masochistic spirit I have everything in my pack that I'll be carrying in the high mountains... including two fleeces, rainpants, and a pair of gloves that are let's face it unlikely to be used in the next few days!

I've done today's hike before, in the other direction while on the H2H -- it's a pleasant walk in rolling hills, sometimes along minor roads, sometimes on hiking paths, but with nothing too remarkable. The pleasure of days like today are the conversations one can have with one's fellow hikers when one doesn't have to pay too much attention to one's footing, or spend too much oxygen climbing or descending steep slopes.

And conversations with Jean-Paul are always a pleasure....

Here in Rustrel our hotel has an excellent restaurant (according to Gault Millau... and to me, because I've eaten here a few times), and outside there is a vide grenier (small flea market) / village fête with a live band playing a mixture of schmaltz and salsa. Très cute! Looks like it will be a lovely evening on the H3H.

Sent from my iPhone