Friday, August 01, 2014

Stage 5 -- Balmes to Rifugio Cuney

In which we are put to the test, and pass, just.

What a great rest day. A warmer reception than at the Maison d'Antan I don't think I've encountered elsewhere, and the food and rooms were also excellent. There are times when one regrets having a plan....

After a copious and very good breakfast we set off shortly after 9AM. We were now seven, having added Kristof & Corinna and their son Benni, Arnulf, and our cousin Glenn. A tough hike awaited us: after a short initial descent of 175m, there woukd follow an unbroken ascent of over 1430m, at times quite steep. And once at the 2780m pass, we would still have about 2 hours of hiking still to do, including a couple of hundred more meters of ascent (almost 1700m all told). For those who haven't hiked in the mountains before, this is a ton.

To cut a long story short, because I'm exhausted and lying in bed covered by four blankets typing with one hand, we made it, but I think that a few of us, including me, were near our limits when we got here.

And why four blankets and one-handed typing? Because the showers here were not just cold, they were glacial, and that plus being close to hypoglycemia gave my system a shock from which it has yet to recover.

I think I'll take a nap.

Sent from my iPad