Friday, August 08, 2014

Stage 9 -- Rif. Ferraro to Alpe del Gabiet

In which we do another pass, see more great views, and go a second day in a row without getting rained upon!

But first, dinner last night at the Rif. Ferraro was... extreme. Six courses: pasta, soup, meat & veg, salad, cheese, dessert. I knew that the refuge had a reputation for good food, but I wasn't expecting what we got (and it was good too). The bunkroom was another matter... nice in various ways, but the two upper bunks had beams crossing them a mere 30cm or so above their mattresses. Saint Gabi Bily and Saint Thomas à Bily said they would take them since neither Russ nor I thought we could contort ourselves sufficiently to a) get up, b) turn over, and c) get down. I was quite exhausted (having made the mistake of hiking at Bily speed during the day), and went to bed shortly before 8:30... the others came about an hour later... but despite a lack of snoring no-one slept well. I think it was the oxygen and effort of the day.

So we got up this morning intending to hike at a more moderate pace (we being Russ and I). I'm not sure I succeeded... I once again arrived at our lodging (a small mountain hotel) exhausted after a 5+ hour hike (well, it should have been 6 hours, but Bily speed, you know). Still, a shower and a few games later I'm feeling better again. Tomorrow is another similar hike, but Sunday we have 9.5 hours to do, so I hope that I'm able to pace myself better then!

As for the hike -- up and over a 2672m pass, spectacular views, a dozen marmots and a couple of deer, no rain... just lovely hiking, as usual :-).

These valleys and ridges just south of the main Alpine ridge are quite beautiful. Very rugged, some ski infrastructure, very high average altitude of the passes, and surprisingly connected to the world. Last night there was Internet access throughout the refuge, same thing tonight... although we are 500m up from the head of a remote valley. As a result I've been able to stay more connected with the world than has been the case in the past... which has its plusses and minuses. The times they are a-changing....

Sent from my iPad