Thursday, August 12, 2021

Re: Day 1 — Hotel Vernagt to the Eishof

Just a few sentences, because I am very tired, which you won't see until tomorrow, because there's no connectivity here.

Started 8:12, finished 16:01 (a complete failure because I told the Eishof folk that I would be there at 16:00). No emojis today, you have to figure out tone and emotions all by yourselves.

First problem: the trail I had planned to take was closed… forest work. Second problem: I learned about this half-way up the mountain. So I had to go all the way back down the valley and then all the way up another valley.

Third problem: I bonked after almost four hours. For some reason I didn't feel hungry… probably because my body knows it has massive fat reserves to get rid of, so why trigger further accumulation? So the remaining almost four hours were very difficult (you don't recover from a bonk), with embarassingly slow steps and many stops to catch breath.

The Eishof is at 2065m. Fourth problem: I have spent the last two months at 65m. Since I did not bother to make new red blood cells when the old ones died, today I did a lot of panting. I know that I am not in great shape, but I'm not as bad as l seemed to be today.

Beautiful weather and scenery though. One or two photos to follow in another email.

Doubt that I will stay up late tonight.

Photos to follow.